At Big Brothers Big Sisters, we believe every child should have the opportunity to reach his or her full potential – both as individuals and citizens. We believe that by changing the course of young lives we can in turn be changing the course of a community’s future.
Start Talking is a place where we want to raise awareness of key issues that face today’s youth. We will sometimes advocate, sometimes educate, sometimes inform, sometimes ask questions and always invite discussion about the pressing concerns that involve the younger generations of today.


Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Ten Years of a Sister’s Love


by Catherine Ward

The year 2013 marks ten years that I have been matched with my Big Sister. In April 2003, Shannon came to my house and met me for the very first time. She has had a huge impact on the person I am today. Growing up, I never thought I would have the chance to do the things other kids got to do with their families. I did not have my mother in my life, and I only got to see my dad every second week. My grandparents had raised me, but they were unable to do the things parents would normally do with their kids because of health issues.

Shannon became my match when I was eleven years old. From the day I met her, I knew it was fate. She became someone I could look up to, and someone I wanted to be like someday. She took time out of her life and gave it to a little girl who just wanted to be a kid. We did numerous activities together, from as little as a movie at her house to as adventurous as a camping trip.

Now that I am an adult, our relationship has grown tremendously. Just over a year ago, I had the honour of being the emcee at her wedding to a man who is now like a brother to me, and only a month ago I became an aunt to her first child. Today, I do not consider her just my sister through a mentoring program; I consider her my sister.

Shannon has been one of the biggest influences in my life. She has motivated me to strive for the best and always offered her hand when I needed it. She was there for every moment in my life and will continue to be there for every moment to come.

I would just like to say thank you to Big Brothers Big Sisters Canada for giving me a mentor, a motivator, a caring hand, a listening ear, a best friend, and a sister. This program has been a hugely life-changing experience, and I would not change it for the world. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment